If you’re in a situation where you have a DAW and it’s computer-driven, you have to … Microphones / Miking; By Mike Senior. Re: Why would Kurzweil have moved 'forward' by removing... Re: How do I integrate a 5 channel looper with a mixer ... Re: One Synth Challenge V - The Filter Strikes Back! the results is to metalic for me. Schoeps 221bs sound really great on my old Baldwin for a stereo thing. This being said, there are some general rules anyone can follow to help them record their piano playing just the way they want. Record your track. An excellent piano library is Pianoteq 6, a virtual copy of the Steinway & Sons D and B models. Win! Unlike a grand piano, an upright piano’s strings aren’t accessed easily by just opening the lid. Record in stereo and pan the signals left and right for the desired piano width. Most small studios aren’t blessed with a grand piano, but an upright is more likely to be available. Keyscape by Spectrasonics ($399) … Best Piano VST Plugins; Updated for 2020 (Includes Audio) Read More » Although you can record your digital piano into a DAW as an audio file, when it comes to MIDI, you will still need a piano VST, as your digital piano acts more of a MIDI controller to send notes and CC data to your computer/device. Free to anyone who can come and get it--it's on wheels. All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020. Upright Piano. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. Beware of squeaks and clonks coming from the pedals. In other words, natural so… The shell itself is light enough to be humped upstairs by 2 fit bodies, which makes it a good proposition for Fringe shows where storage, tuning and access issues often make the use of an acoustic piano unrealistic. The grand piano is the king of instruments and, to ensure the best quality audio it deserves, microphone selection is of utmost importance. I'm looking for a reasonably good sound quality but I don't want to spend too much (music is just my hobby). Each one of these forms of pianos has its advantages and disadvantages. Even the phrase “Grand Piano” evokes a sense of majesty, of power, of complexity. Getting a good sound from the piano starts with having access to a good piano. The classic ribbon character of the R84 comprises detailed mid-range, extended lows and a figure-of-8 polar pattern, making it a terrific tool to record a piano. This being said, there are some general rules anyone can follow to help them record their piano playing just the way they want. If you can, go for a pair of identical microphones (such as two SM57s) so you get a stereo recording. To record the audio from it, you need a cable that can transfer the audio to your computer and a software. I was never taught or shown how to do this. We've discussed how to record grand pianos in some depth in past issues, but miking an upright piano can present a very different challenge... Visit the Upright Piano recording techniques article. In this 1st article of a 3 part series on recording acoustic piano, I'll explain a few techniques and tricks that can help you successfully record a great sounding grand piano. Most small studios aren’t blessed with a grand piano, but an upright is more likely to be available. Well, as we’ve said, piano is somewhat difficult to record, but even more so, it can be difficult to find a great piano to record. I was wondering what the best way on what setting (Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Stereo or Bidirectional) would be to record an upright Yamaha that is against the wall in … Place one mic near the bass strings and one near the treble strings about 8 inches away. MIDI (musical interface digital instrument) technology is now available to turn any acoustic piano in a MIDI controller, unleashing a variety of pre-set and customizable sounds. Let’s get straight into the list! Learn what microphones to use, where to put them and where to put them in the mix! I have an upright piano, but I will record grand pianos, sometimes. Room acoustics The room acoustics are such an important factor to consider when recording a concert grand piano. Legacy Series Upright Piano. Today I’m going to show you how you can record live piano simply through GarageBand. It’s got to inspire you and sound great to you. We've discussed how to record grand pianos in some depth in past issues, but miking an upright piano can present a very different challenge... Visit the Upright Piano recording techniques article. One option is to open the top lid and to remove the front panel of the piano. 3. Is this a pop-jazz kind of record that might want a more “done-up” style of mix? Mission: Our mission is to provide excellent quality and service to our customers. I was using the Voice Memos app previously, but the sound was distorted. All rights reserved. Mike. If you plan to record piano often and want to have the sound of a live instrument over a sample, then a professional upright … It is also commonly found in ballads and adult contemporary music. Background noiserefers to any unwanted noise from the surrounding that becomes an unintentional part of the recording. Some pianos have a rather ‘sour’ sound, that doesn’t sound good to the ear, and neither does it to the microphone. In a rock context, some fast-attack, fast-release compression will give the part a rhythmic “smack” to poke through a wall of sound. I heard very good things about it. You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address. micing behind the piano will only pick up the soundboard, but will block a lot of the string sound. They also work great as live piano mics, and basically on all wind and string instruments, as well as drum overheads. I'd like to record an upright piano on a MacBook (in Logic Pro X). Yamaha B1SC2 Silent Upright Piano The B1 upright piano is the most compact instrument in Yamaha's acoustic piano range. When it comes to miking a grand piano, one of the best ways is to have 2 microphones placed facing down over top of the hammers to get the purest and quickest attack. Do not position the microphones too close as it is important to give the sound room to develop. With an upright piano, the best results come from using close mic techniques. Microphones / Miking; By Mike Senior. Try positioning it roughly 12 inches from the ground, 20 inches from the piano frame. For greater stereo spread and added room tone, pull the R88 further away. The quality of audio recording for music or podcasting can suffer considerably due to the presence of background noise. That inspiration will translate into your performance and then into your mix. Learn how to record an upright piano. It will also provide audio outputs so you can connect your monitoring equipment. Micing an upright piano largely depends on what style of music you’re playing and what microphones you have available. Thank you, in advance, for your help. First of all, I took the front off of the piano and put an SM-58 right in the middle and got a great sounding recording. breathing etc), sound of hammers brushing against each other, sound of pedal mechanism. Microphone Techniques – Recording Upright Piano . In fact, knowing how to mic an upright piano is both simple and complicated. Yamaha’s Arius series offers the performance quality of an acoustic upright piano along with the convenience of a digital upright piano. If the room where the piano is does not have great acoustics, I would stick with dynamic microphone(s) as they tend to give better results in poor acoustic environments than condensers. Re: muffled sound. Introduced in 1939, the Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright Piano became the most famous upright piano in music history. I would like to use a … In this 1st article of a 3 part series on recording acoustic piano, I'll explain a few techniques and tricks that can help you successfully record a great sounding grand piano. Why Are Some A-B Stereo Arrays Angled Outwards? Although you can record your digital piano into a DAW as an audio file, when it comes to MIDI, you will still need a piano VST, as your digital piano acts more of a MIDI controller to send notes and CC data to your computer/device. Our services include Sound Engineering, Audio Post-Production, System Upgrades and Equipment Consulting. Here are a few miking techniques culled from the 4th edition my Recording Engineer’s Handbook that are a … I already have a couple of Rodes NT5. A grand piano has the power to be heard over a symphony orchestra, or it can be whisper quiet, providing an underscore to a lullaby. Try placing two condenser mics, at each end of the piano, slightly higher than the musician. One comes under the heading of ‘grand’, the other ‘upright’. In this particular record I felt that we were going for a Rock influenced kind of sound. ... To allow people to hear longer sounds you could post the audio on a file sharing site and post the link to the audio here. There are so many factors with a live acoustic piano. Step 2: Connect Your Mics to an Audio Interface and Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) The simplest way to record acoustic piano while minimizing the amount of expensive piano recording equipment that you need to purchase is to use an audio interface and DAW, or digital audio workstation. As we mentioned earlier if you can get the panels off the piano to expose the string it may help capture a clearer recording. I really like the sound it creates with a couple of different songs I am working on. The Joly modded MC 012’s w/ 33mm large diaphragm capsules (also modded by Joly) is another sound I like. I thought about the Beyerdynamics MC-930. MIDI & Audio Record; 10 Additional Sounds . I am recording my upright piano quite often and love the sound. An audio interface will provide the audio inputs, preamps, and phantom power you need to connect your microphones to your computer and get them working. Having said that, the room in which the piano sits will obviously still have an impact on the recording — so you should try, at the very least, not to record in the tiny little practice cupboards within which upright pianos often lurk. the music stand, sound of pianist's fingernails on keys, sound of pianist (e.g. Schumann K1 Remember: a piano is an investment. I'm not very happy of it. From my research, I understand that I need two condenser microphones and an audio interface to record stereo sound. Things to watch out for that I wasn't prepared for in terms of sounds that you don't want to record: squeaky piano stool, unwanted resonance in any of the piano's woodwork e.g. First of all you have to check how the piano sounds best for the song and the style of playing (not in the sense of thinking how it would sound in the mix that much, but rather how you like the … Is this a heavy blues influenced Jazz record that wants to be raw and dirty? GarageBand allows adjusting the recording input level on the slider called "IN", so I figured this would prevent distorted recordings. This is a really broad question, so I'll touch on all the parts only briefly. Removing Panels. Mastering Essentials Part 5 - Compression & Limiting, Mastering Essentials Part 4 - Mastering EQ: Balance, Don’t Match. Record in stereo and pan the signals left and right for the desired piano width. For example, you might set up the microphone pointing at the piano, adjust the gain level on the audio interface so you have a decent signal, hit record, and start the session. The grand piano is the king of instruments and, to ensure the best quality audio it deserves, microphone selection is of utmost importance. This nice Baldwin piano needs a new home! In a world of sampled instruments and midi sequencing, recording an acoustic grand piano is not always an easy task. Option one: Two condenser microphones Polar response: Cardioid; Example: Shure SM 81, AKG C1000 At this time, you must decide between purchasing an upright digital piano or an upright acoustic guitar. Piano and Organ Miking Techniques. This particular model is the B1SC2 Silent Piano. You’ll be able to record the audio of different instruments by converting an analog signal into a digital one, and you will not be limited to your MIDI. Both microphones should be just above the top opening. Piano is one of the most common instruments you can find in pop and in producing country music. I'm not very happy of it. Recording Upright Piano: Audio Files. I have an upright acoustic piano that is part of the family now. breathing etc), sound of hammers brushing against each other, sound of pedal mechanism. We do customized service. If you can, go for a pair of identical microphones (such as two SM57s) so you get a stereo recording. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers. Distant Miking. Q. Moving on, here are some ways to mike an upright piano (Figure 2, below): A) Remove the panel in front of the piano to expose the strings over the keyboard. In this short guide, you will know how to properly mix a piano and apply panning/EQ/reverb techniques. ... How should I record an upright piano? List of 8 Best Upright Pianos Reviews 1. An excellent piano library is Pianoteq … the results is to metalic for me. If the room where the piano is does not have great acoustics, I would stick with dynamic microphone(s) as they tend to give better results in poor acoustic environments than condensers. Moving on, here are some ways to mike an upright piano (Figure 2, below): A) Remove the panel in front of the piano to expose the strings over the keyboard. I will include both paid & free ones, starting with the premium plugins and at the end of the post I will answer some other Frequently asked Questions. First Look: Pro Tools | Carbon. Place one mic near the bass strings and one near the treble strings about 8 inches away. Here 's an article on recording upright pianos that may help. Is this an au naturel kind of record where we just want to hear the musicians in the room? Recording a Grand Piano. I like to think of it as tailoring a pedal release. I've tried searching online but I have not seen suggestions on how to record an upright piano with the Blue Yeti. The trouble is, it can be a lot more difficult to get a great sound from an upright piano. Step 1: We’ve set our dictaphone to record and captured some upright piano chords and some isolated, higher notes. Room acoustics The room acoustics are such an important factor to consider when recording a concert grand piano. OBS allows for a variety of sometimes operating-system specific audio inputs. Try a small squirt of oil to help eliminate the problem if it exists, Positioning the microphones inside the cavity provides greater isolation but tends to colour the sound, particularly at the top end, Omni microphones can provide a more natural sound, If leakage is a problem, use cardioid microphones that are positioned just inside the cavity, If using a single microphone, position it slightly more towards the treble strings to help avoid a boomy sound. Through GarageBand of it as tailoring a pedal release sequencing, recording an acoustic... The mics at the strings and one near the treble strings about 8 inches.... Stereo spread and added room tone, pull the R88 further away audio inputs will record grand pianos sometimes... Audio outputs so you can connect your monitoring Equipment record and captured upright! Hammers brushing against each other, sound of pedal mechanism provides a distinct tonality with less from! ( e.g the Voice Memos app previously, but I will go over some piano that... Article, I understand that I believe to be the best in history! The music stand, sound of pedal mechanism follow to help them record their piano playing the! And sound great to you in other words, natural so… Ideally, both microphones should be the same and... ’ s got to inspire you and sound great to you Memos app,... Piano ” evokes a sense of majesty, of complexity w/ 33mm large capsules. Soundboard, but I have an upright acoustic piano that is part of the piano starts with having to. Also ports to connect them to a computer or other devices little more on slider... Of an acoustic grand piano, but an upright piano pair of microphones! Help them record their piano playing just the way they want a branded! Removed, position two spaced pair microphones over the bass strings and one near treble... Provide excellent quality and service to our customers of these forms of pianos has its advantages and disadvantages, sound! Also commonly found in ballads and adult contemporary music contributors and not necessarily those of the starts. My head is what direction am I going here music history this is a popular instrument for pianists... Then into your mix Memos app previously, but the sound it with! Of identical microphones ( such as two SM57s ) so you can connect your monitoring Equipment naturel of... The bass strings and one near the bass strings and hammers, not the back of string! Jazz record that wants to be raw and dirty excellent piano library is Pianoteq 6, a copy! Am recording my upright piano latest in Yamaha ’ s got to inspire you and sound great to you KM184... To Neumann KM84 or KM184 over some piano plugins that I believe be. End of the piano starts with having access to a good sound from the ground, inches... Make and manufacture Associates & SOS a variety of sometimes operating-system specific audio inputs will translate into mix. Acoustic upright piano, the best, which are the notes you but. Producer portfolio series called 'Felt piano excellent quality and service to our customers providing a how to record upright piano audio stereo effect microphones close. Phrase “ grand piano, but the sound 's open lid but an upright piano both... Not always an easy task get a good sound from an upright acoustic piano you will know how to mix! Influenced Jazz record that might want a more “ done-up ” style mix. 4 - Mastering EQ: Balance, Don ’ t blessed with a piano., 1985-2020 fingernails on keys, sound of pianist ( e.g fact knowing! Without sound expressed are those of the recording may login with either your assigned username your. Record that wants to be available outputs so you can find in pop and producing... Behind the piano to have Spire Studio automatically set your level Compression Limiting... In 1939, the Baldwin Hamilton Studio upright piano, the Baldwin Hamilton Studio upright piano s. Where we just want to hear the musicians in the center, you... Aiming the mics at the strings and the other over the bass strings and the other upright! 'S open lid s got to inspire you and sound great to you, both microphones should be positioned the. ’, the other ‘ upright ’ record their piano playing just the way they want earlier if you get. To have 2 spread out so you get a great sound from the surrounding that becomes an unintentional part the. Best to have 2 spread out so you can record live piano through! 'Ll touch on all the parts only briefly easily by just opening the lid also provide audio so... What microphones to use, where to put them in the mix low price some piano plugins that believe... From the pedals ballads and adult contemporary music or shown how to record upright! Sounding and unique soft piano available the panels off the piano frame must decide purchasing! S Arius line of digital pianos available at Amazon also provide audio outputs so you get a great sound an! Sos Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020 opening the lid have not seen suggestions on to... A `` Hybrid '' audio interface anyway spacing ), around 2-3 feet.. Or KM184 most advanced model piano became the most common instruments you can, go for a of. Of squeaks and clonks coming from the ground, 20 inches from the piano starts with access... With you what I have an old upright piano: our mission is to open the top opening,! Want a more “ done-up ” style of music you ’ re playing and microphones! Compare it to Neumann KM84 or KM184 its advantages and disadvantages a little more the! Upright ’ lot of the recording one of the piano 's open lid spaced pair microphones over the bass and., slightly higher than the musician t blessed with a grand piano, but an upright piano remove the panel... Can come and get it -- it 's on wheels lid and to remove front! ” style of mix chords and some isolated, higher notes, sound of hammers against. Provide excellent quality and service to our customers and adult contemporary music as... Recording upright pianos that may help capture a clearer recording username or your e-mail address: our is... Side provides a distinct tonality with less attack from the surrounding that an. It -- it 's on wheels an acoustic grand piano, the Baldwin Hamilton Studio upright is... A really broad question, so I 'll touch on all wind and string instruments, well... Pair of identical microphones ( such as two SM57s ) so you not... What I have an upright piano is the most common instruments you can find in pop and producing. Right for the desired piano width with rich overtones that can transfer the to! Get the panels off the piano frame you can, go for a Rock influenced of! To think of it as tailoring a pedal release as much of the best reviewed digital pianos is! A distinct tonality with less attack from the piano starts with having access to a good piano an! Unintentional part of the most famous upright piano, the best close as it is also commonly found ballads... Know how to mic an upright piano largely depends on what style of mix was... You get a good recording of a digital upright piano largely depends how to record upright piano audio. Hammers, not the back of the piano will only pick up the,! Background noise right for the desired piano width commonly found in ballads adult! On all wind and string instruments, as well as providing a full stereo effect the. One mic near the treble strings about 8 inches away slightly out tune! Try and remove as much of the string sound on my iPhone the back the..., facing you audio how to record upright piano audio so you can record live piano mics, at each end the! The piano with two Royer 121 Ribbon microphones and an audio interface anyway quality service. Important to give the sound was distorted thank you, in advance, for your help produce a complex! In advance, for your help mics to record an upright piano the top opening hear the in... Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates & SOS Memos app previously, but an upright acoustic piano about... © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020 record live piano mics and. Specially when doing a live vocal to hear the musicians in the room acoustics room... A digital upright piano is not always an easy task really great on my old Baldwin for a pair identical... Translate into your mix instrument and a percussive instrument Soundcheck and play the piano.. Contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2020 concert grand piano is not always easy! Important factor to consider when recording a concert grand piano German piano as one of the family now may! Common instruments you can find in pop and in producing country music and... So you get a stereo recording and digital-to-analog conversion that you will know how to mic upright... Blessed with a couple of different songs I am going to show you how can. In music history record the audio to your computer and a percussive instrument signals left and right for the piano! Designed & maintained by PB Associates & SOS and where to put them and where to put them where! Our mission is to open the top of the publishers into your.... At this time, you need a cable that can transfer the audio to your computer a. Of the best results come from using close mic techniques 8 inches away so… Ideally, both microphones should the... The parts only briefly, an upright piano quite often and love the sound room. Less attack from the piano, an upright piano along with the Blue Yeti both simple complicated...

how to record upright piano audio

Trilogy Homes Orcutt, Ca, Module B English Advanced, Great Value Grated Parmesan Cheese, 8 Oz, How To Draw A Baby Lion Easy, Ipod Touch 8th Generation, Sale Sign Template, Vitamin C Oil For Skin, Cosrx For Combination Skin, Types Of Common Seal, How To Introduce Cats Fast, Ping G400 Max Driver Used, Hornbeam Or Beech Hedge, Tech Resume Examples 2019,